Tuesday, July 8, 2008

You Are Not Extinct

They say you are extinct; Dying off.
Many believe you are simply non-existent.
You leave babies in a poverty stricken state.
You make your so-called baby-mama's wait.
The good in you, they say has gone away.
Some say you never existed in the first place.
As the image withers into some bleak dissapearance
I rush to recall the memories of you.
As a child I remember running with you;
You nudging me in the right direction aiding me to walk with a swagger,
A character that only you could possess.
You led by example, teaching me to climb high.
I fell numerous times, but looking back I can honestly say I reached the top.
As the memory fades, I write to recollect my thoughts.
I activate my activism to resemble you as a black cat; a panther in my eyes.
You often pressure me into being a soldier like you;
Although you were forced to kill the innocent;
They sent you there to potentially kill you.
They did not love you.
But, I do.
They supported your extinction, but like the soldier you are,
You drafted a promise to yourself;
A promise to get out alive.
But they forced you, like I am forced, to stand strong for the cause.
Your soul almost faded then, eleven times to be exact,
but you came back even more courageous than before.
You are a lion; a natural king; my own personal Mufasa.
That said, you taught me to fight for my throne.
To become the queen of my own land outside of the presumed home.
Father.
My own personal Good Black Man, they say you are extinct; Dying off.
But, I believe you are resilient.
Yet, overlooked by a system that only portrays the negative.
You are my positive; my king, and the man that so many women dream.

No comments:

See...I Smile Sometimes!

See...I Smile Sometimes!