Monday, July 21, 2008

For You, I Have Chosen To Speak

"For those of us who live at the shoreline
standing upon the constant edges of decision
crucial and alone"...
I will speak constantly trembling with fear,
but I WILL SPEAK!
Sharing stories with you
about the tortuous episodes experienced
by My Black sisters-young and old.
Of course there have been others tortured and mutilated,
but it is Our time to say STOP!
Why must WE fight each other
when they want us to die alone?
I'm sorry My tunes did not match Your rhythms,
and that My tonality lacked Your urban swang,
but there was no reason for You to ask for My silence.
Simply because I am of a lighter pigment
does not mean We are not one in the same.
We must speak.
We must speak...
Together.
They constantly rebuke Our struggle and attempt to redefine Herstory
when they are written all over Our faces.
Tears that won't bother to dry.
Wrinkles of worry carved into Our melanin-drowned skin.
But they say We're just angry, no reason, just angry.
There are answers. We should clue them in.
they have transformed Us into to aggressors
attempting to question the oppression
We have been forced to endure.
When they look into their mirror's of life
there are images there waiting to be set free,
but when We look We are taken aback by the invisibility
of what it means to be:
Young, Black, and Female.
Sister's it is time to reflect upon Our misfortune
and capitalize on the Women We claim to be.
So, I have chosen to speak...
"For those of us who live at the shoreline
standing upon the constant edges of decision
crucial and alone."
Quoted words by Audre Lorde

See...I Smile Sometimes!

See...I Smile Sometimes!