Sunday, April 26, 2009

Black Feminist Writing A Self-Introduction


So, I have decided to document my thesis writing process. Hopefully, it will make it much easier and make me a better writer. My thesis is an attempt to show how the autobiographical writings of bell hooks and Audre Lorde can be utilized as a form of consciousness raising rhetoric for black women. There are so many parts and I actually completed a tentative first chapter on the general politics of autobiographical writing, and how hooks and Lorde fit in or, well, don't.

Why?
I chose to write on this topic because the autobiographical writings of bell hooks was how I actually got into the whole feminism thing. Her story or stories has helped me attempt to deal with some of the things in my own life, like being bullied as a child, teenager, and semi-adult. My final hope for the entire thesis is to ultimately heal the wounds and mend some of the voids, which exist in my life by dissecting the writings of hooks and Lorde; while also creating a rhetoric that other black women and women of color in general can use to do the same. Wish me luck and here I go.

Audre told me my silence would not protect me, so I have chosen to speak.;)

No comments:

See...I Smile Sometimes!

See...I Smile Sometimes!